The Cold Mountain Zen Center is a community of Interior Alaskan Zen students who meet to practice Buddhism as taught by Zen Master Seung Sahn, the first Korean Zen Master to live and teach in the West. Zen Master Seung Sahn became a Zen Master in 1949 at the age of 22, and in 1972 came to the United States and founded the The Kwan Um School of Zen. Zen Master Seung Sahn died November 30, 2004.
Today the school has over sixty centers and groups throughout the world. Our Guiding Teacher, Zen Master Bon Soeng (Jeff Kitzes), received Transmission in April 2001. He has been practicing Zen since 1975, and began practicing with Zen Master Seung Sahn in 1979. He is a licensed psychotherapist in private practice, with a specialty in the integration of Zen Buddhism and Western Psychotherapy. He is the abbot and guiding teacher of Empty Gate Zen Center in Berkeley, California.
- Meditation Instruction and Practice
- Teachings of Zen Master Seung Sahn
- Dharma Talks (1st Tuesday of every month)
- Consulting Interviews (3rd Tuesday of every month)
- A warm welcome to people of all faiths and backgrounds